First, you have to understand that what inspired this post was a television show called Undateable which highlights things guys do that guarantee that they will not only not get a date, but not be having sex.
I posted some funny highlights and my own additions on my Facebook Group page and also my Twitter page (email@example.com). For example, too much polar fleece was strangely absent from the show’s list as were money clips, panel vans, and bad table manners. These all make my personal undateable list.
What happened, though, is that my male friends (gay and straight), rebelled.
One tweet said, “How come these things are always about what men do wrong? What about women? I’ve been w/ some doosies!”
John said on FB, “On behalf of all men I worry that by eliminating these 311 things that we can't do, that we'll be left with about 4 things that we can. Women of the world, HELP!”
J—a gay man—said on FB, “I don’t seem to have a problem with the men I date doing things way outside the norm, but my brother dates women who are ALWAYS wearing, saying, or doing undateable things. Have you SEEN what some of the women out there wear?! You should blog about that!”
So here I am. My CSA friend and I (if you don’t remember her, you can get caught up here) went out into downtown Seattle armed with our cell phone cameras to capture what we think men think is undateable. We were having so much fun that we also made a list. I want to know your feedback; especially if you’re a man or a gay woman. Do you agree? Are they undateable? Should we start our own reality show? Oddly, we’ve already gotten a bit of feedback, and not all of it has concurred.
- Leggings or leg warmers (especially in odd or fluorescent colors)
- Pajamas and/or slippers
- Crocs and other strange footwear not meant for this century or planet
- Women walking a pack of dogs OR dogs in a bag (this really opens up an entire category of odd pet ownership—see below and please note “I will not date that. I will not date that with a cat. Nor with a rat on top of her cat.” Actually there are so many things I could say about this one that I don’t even know where to begin. Did you SEE she has a cat and a rat on a leash? And blue hair?)
- Birkenstocks (especially with socks)
- Women who don’t shave or wax their: legs, underarms, face (A guy friend said recently there was a woman at Macy’s who had a bigger mustache than him--eww!)
- Shirts that show a woman’s midriff (There was some contention on this point, with CSA saying that men like this sort of thing because they like to know if they’re, “getting a fattie.”)
- T-bar of thong or really any sort of underwear showing (Another argument ensued here with L. from FB saying this is sexy…especially bra straps. Why do women even wear shirts, I ask you?)
- Androgynous-looking women
- Lots of key chains and keys around wrist or neck; ditto lots of purses
- Unnatural hair colors growing out (see also bun in above photo)
L. added after seeing this one that, “Men will forgive a thousand sins if she’s got a nice ass.” Conclusion: the girl’s perspective on what makes a girl dateable is necessarily flawed.